How to help students improve their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
These tools are designed to be inclusive and are integrated into Microsoft 365 solutions for education, such as Microsoft Teams, OneNote, PowerPoint, Word, and more.
One advantage here is that the students search within the class team and that they have access to Newsguard. More about the use of Newsguard here.
Some of the tools that can be used to support multilingual learners of English include:
- Reading Coach: This tool provides exercises to help students practice reading with guidance through pronunciation, syllabification, reading speed, and vocabulary recall. It is particularly helpful for supporting students with a range of learning differences 1.
- Reading Progress: This tool tracks students’ reading skills, gives educators actionable insights quickly, and focuses students on specific areas for improvement. By streamlining the reading assignment creation, review, and analysis process, teachers can spend more of their time on active instruction 1.
- Immersive Reader: This tool helps students improve their reading skills by providing features such as text-to-speech, picture dictionary, and translation. It is available in over 70 languages, including English 2.
- Speaker Coach. From classroom to career, presentation skills are important. Speaker Coach is a real-time coaching tool that helps evaluate key points of students’ public speaking performances and gives personalized feedback on details like pitch, use of filler words, and pacing without the stress of an audience.
- Search Coach: This tool helps students learn how to form effective search queries, find trusted sites with NewsGuard, and think critically about their results in an ad-free environment1.
- Reflect: This tool helps students identify and express how they feel in safe and fun ways, building their emotional vocabulary and giving educators the insights they need to provide active support1.