Who was Charles Nesbitt Wilson?
Understand what is meant by: “Charles Wilson’s efforts and exploits helped repel an invader, liberate a people, and bring the Cold War to a close”.
Student research activities:
- Norwegian students read this article in Aftenposten
- After raising money for weapons Charles Wilson wanted more money to rebuild the infrastructure, read about it here
- Charlie Wilson’s war would be harder to fight today – why?
- Read more about him here.
- Watch interview with Tom Hanks here.
- Watch “the real story about Charlie Wilson“
- Watch this clip from the History Channel.
Student writing activities:
- After reading about Charles Wilson write a comment on your blog and answer the following questions: What was special about what Charles Wilson did, why did it make a difference in Afghanistan and what could have been done differently?
- After watching the movie answer the following questions: how did the movie portray Charles Wilson? Did you understand more about the conflict after watching the movie? Write a short review about the movie and state your personal opinions on both subject and movie.
Related articles by Zemanta
- ‘Charlie Wilson’s War’ congressman dies (telegraph.co.uk)
- Congressman who inspired ‘Charlie Wilson’s War’ dies (cnn.com)
- Charlie Wilson dies in hospital (news.bbc.co.uk)