- To prepare the students for the semester at our 1-1 computer school
- To explore you own dependency on social media
- Read this article in Newsweek
- Read this article from Washington Post
- Listen to this lecture from Linda Stone Microsoft.
- Read this article “Attention class” in the Boston globe
- Breakfast can wait – social media is dictating the way we spend out family time.
- Pick an article to read or listen to the video at this website by Howard Rheingold
- Read both articles by Will Richardson, On technoslavery and if every student had a computer
- Divide class in groups of 4. (if more then 16 student repeat some of the groups)
- First group reads all articles on the computer alone. No restrictions. Individually make questions checking for understanding.
- Second group reads articles on computer, no other sites allowed. They discuss each article after reading. In the group, make questions checking for understanding.
- Third group gets handouts and reads them. No use of computers. No discussion. Individually make questions checking for understanding.
- Forth group gets handouts. They dived reading material amongst the group. they discuss and explain their findings. In group make questions checking for understanding.
- One from each group joins to form a new group. Look at the questions and discuss. Who has the most to contribute. Did the different ways of preparing make a difference? Discuss.
- Write an entry on your blog were you discuss the use of computers in class
- Time for reflection – each student shares with partner their personal views on the subject – can you change your habits – should you? Do you want to?