Before looking at the collection of photographs from the past year, brainstorm a list of images, sounds, words and artifacts that come to mind when you think about the events of the past year. What pictures are related to the world, what pictures are related to your country? Where is the picture here taken and when?
Then, reflect on your list: What do you notice? What big themes and ideas emerge?
- Look at these three different sources and write a comment on what seems to be the main story of 2022.
National GeographicThe New York PostBBC News
- Respond to the power of individual images: Which images from the collection stand out to you most and why? Which ones do you think best capture the year’s noteworthy moments? Are there any events that you think are missing? If so, which ones and why?
Analyze and interpret a photograph.
Choose one photograph in the collection that you found particularly informative, surprising or affecting.
- What is going on in this picture?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What more can you find?
Then dig a little deeper:
- What do you notice about the composition, colors, objects and people in the photo?
- Why did this photo stand out to you? What do you find intriguing or moving about it?
- How does the photograph make you feel? How does it resonate with your own life and experiences?
- What challenges do you think the photographer faced in capturing the picture?