- Introduce the play to the class using this Hamlet lesson plan Do the pre – reading stage. Read Hamlet’s soliloquy, you find the full text of the play here. If you need you will find a simpler version here. Hamlet
- Do worksheet A and B and discuss with class – talk about what you find in this Simpsons’ interpretation of Hamlet what is similar and what is different from the original ! See video below. You can also have a look at the Cartoon Hamlet it is an easy way to talk about the play!
After reading play – (you might only read one act)
- Here is a quiz for the class to work on. Lots of questions! hamlet-quiz
- Look at this google map. Where is this? Who lived here?
- Read this summary of the play and answer some questions while watching.
- Test yourself with the Cambridge test
- Study the picture (Image here) Ophelia by Sir John Everet Millais
Watch this revision by SparkNotes to remember main facts
Extra activities and places to visit if time:
- Look at these clips “Ophelia’s madness“, Ophelia drowning, Ophelia’s sad destiny
- Look at video from youtube. Hamlet Act3 Scene1 Soliloquy.
Shakespeare animated books:
Write an essay about Hamlet and post it on your blog. Use one or all of these themes as a headline: Revenge, madness, love, relationships.
Use this rubric: Essay rubric 2011
Use Peergrade for peer assessment.