It is difficult to talk about the Northern Ireland conflict without tying it to the ongoing Brexit negotiations. Therefore this lesson plan will include the following topic: Brexit Countdown: Why is the Northern Ireland border question so hard? Source: BBC
Elaborate on and discuss how key historical events and processes have affected the development of British society.
- Use this PowerPoint presentation to set the background, material used from NDLA
- Read and listen to this text; The Troubles, the 1960s to Today – Text in Brief, NDLA
Brexit Countdown – the issues.
Read the material provided below and watch the videos. Write an article on your blog using material from the PowerPoint presentation to explain why this is a controversial issue today. Be sure to include historical facts, the process of Brexit and the views and concerns from both sides of the border. Be sure to list your sources.
- For Norwegian speaking students, read this text from NRK; Fikk pistol mot hodet
- The Atlantic; Northern Ireland Could Be Brexit’s Biggest Casualty. With no government in Belfast and the border issue unresolved, anxiety grows about the country’s future.
- The Independent; Brexit: What are the issues surrounding Northern Ireland’s border and could it scupper UK’s EU withdrawal? Everything you need to know about this crucial part of the negotiations.
- BBC News; Brexit Countdown: Why is the Northern Ireland border question so hard?