“Climate change is the single greatest threat to a sustainable future but, at the same time, addressing the climate challenge presents a golden opportunity to promote prosperity, security and a brighter future for all.” BAN KI-MOON Secretary-General, United Nations.
If you could know the truth about the threat of climate change — would you want to know? Before the Flood, presented by National Geographic, features Leonardo DiCaprio on a journey as a United Nations Messenger of Peace, traveling to five continents and the Arctic to witness climate change firsthand. He goes on expeditions with scientists uncovering the reality of climate change and meets with political leaders fighting against inaction. He also discovers a calculated disinformation campaign orchestrated by powerful special interests working to confuse the public about the urgency of the growing climate crisis. With unprecedented access to thought leaders around the world, DiCaprio searches for hope in a rising tide of catastrophic news. Source: Before the flood
Before watching; Reading and Researching
In groups of 3 watch the trailer below and share your thoughts on what changes we can expect to see from the United States in the 4 years Donald Trump is President.
- Each student reads one of the 3 articles here: Trump causes uncertainty, Trump seeking quickest way to quite Paris climate agreement, Let’s Discuss Climate Change In Donald Trump’s America; Trolls Welcome
- When reading highlight areas that you think are interesting. Use Marker.to or Page Marker.
- Give an oral summary of the article to your group
- Agree on the most urgent points and share them here:
After watching the movie
- In your group discuss the most crucial information shared in this documentary. Add thoughts you have to the bulletin board here.
- Write your blog post; Dear President-elect Donald Trump, why climate change is the single greatest threat to a sustainable future. Send the link to your post in a Twitter message to DT and Potus! Use info found on the bulletin board to help you in your writing.
Categories: Lesson plans