Reading in class
In Norway during the first year of high school, we have two competency goals concerning literature
- Discuss and elaborate on English texts from a selection of different genres, poems, short stories, novels, films, and theater plays from different epochs and parts of the world
- Discuss literature by and about indigenous peoples in the English-speaking world
- Literature by and about indigenous people
This year the choices are limited to two different books, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and About a boy. To be able to make a good decision the students are asked to do these tasks to prepare.
- In groups of 4 work together first in pairs and find information about the two authors, Sherman Alexie and Nick Hornby. Make a list of 5 interesting facts about each to present in your group. Use Twitter as one of your sources by following the authors and reading their tweets.
- Listen to the video below. And read this review about the book “about a boy” here. Based on the video and the article write a short paragraph about your impressions of the authors and the books
- Based on your impressions decide on which book you want to read and write a short paragraph on your blog explaining your decision
- Read the first chapter of the book and write a short paragraph on your first impression.
- Send a link to your blog post to the author using Twitter and hashtag #1stg