Safer Internet Day (SID) is organised by Insafe in February of each year to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially among children and young people across the world. Safer Internet Day 2016 will be celebrated on Tuesday 9 February 2016, with a theme of ‘Play your part for a better internet!’. This website will showcase the many events and activities taking place across the globe to mark the day. (Safer Internet Day)
Groups of four students will work together to solve one of the following eight problems listed below.
- Start off by watching the video below.
- Continue by taking this quiz
- As a warm up exercise print out these two role cards. Work in groups of two roleplaying.
- Read material provided below and watch the videos they refer to.
- You can supplement the material provided with resources available, use the twitter hashtag #SID2016
- You can present your findings anyway you want, video, blog post, Kahoot, roleplay, photostory. If you decide to make a video see some examples and advice here.
One – What do we want to say to our parents and teachers about kids’ use of technology?
- KSTP Video – New app allows parents to freeze their kids’ mobile devices –https://youtu.be/P22uIXisses
- NPR – When parents are the ones too distracted by devices –http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2014/04/16/303749247/when-parents-are-the-ones-too-distracted-by-devices
Two – Sexting – Is it a problem? Why do people do it? How can we educate each other about the risks?
- BOM411 Youth Radio Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Nmcs9uYLA
- ConnectSafely.org – FAQ on Sexting and Sextortion –http://www.connectsafely.org/faq-on-sexting-and-sextortion/
Three – What are some simple things people can do to protect themselves online?
- Epipheo Video – Why care about Internet privacy? – https://youtu.be/85mu9PLWCuI
- ConnectSafely.org – Safety Tips – http://www.connectsafely.org/safety-tips/
Four – How do we achieve better balance in our lives between school, family, friends, activities and our use of tech?
- CBS This Morning – Study reveals how teens, tweens use tech devices –https://youtu.be/c1iDbYHVlwY
- ConnectSafely.org – Can we reconcile the paperless classroom with screen addiction? – http://www.connectsafely.org/can-we-reconcile-the-paperless-classroom-with-the-screen-addiction/
Five – What are our rights and responsibilities as creators and consumers of digital media/content?
- Discover News Video – Media Consumption: How much is too much? –https://youtu.be/IVWXRlhoO_I
- ConnectSafely.org – How educators can talk to students about media literacy –http://www.connectsafely.org/how-educators-can-talk-with-students-about-media-literacy/
Six – How can school counselors and administrators support students when they make mistakes posting on social media (pictures that jeopardize reputation of self or others, dealing with cyberbullying, etc.)?
- UBC Digital Tattoo: If we looked you up online, what would we learn about you? –https://youtu.be/T3awgYhZjdQ
- Is your school’s “Digital Citizenship” practice a pass or fail? – George Couros –http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/3658
Seven – How can we encourage empathy and support among our peers online? What about among adults?
- Empathy Can Change the World Video – https://youtu.be/aU3QfyqvHk8
- ConnectSafely.org – What to do when your child feels invisible around other people –http://www.connectsafely.org/what-to-do-when-your-child-feels-invisible-around-other-people/
Eight – What can teenagers do to support others in their efforts to adopt and use technology safely and productively (siblings, seniors, community members, etc.)?
- A student’s take: Why cell phone use at school is a great idea – Smarter Schools Project – http://smarterschoolsproject.com/blog/students-take-why-cellphone-use-school-great-idea
- A student’s perspective on the use of social media – Edutopia –http://www.edutopia.org/discussion/students-perspective-use-social-media
Categories: Lesson plans