Teaching Activities for: ‘In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News’
This lesson plan is from The New York Times.
Before reading the article:
Now, read the article, “In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News,” and answer the following questions:
- What extraordinary experiment is the Italian government undertaking, in cooperation with leading digital companies, including Facebook?
- Why is Italy especially fertile ground for digital deceit, according to the article?
- What is the Five Star Movement, and what does Alessandro Campi, a professor of political science at Perugia University, say about its owner, Beppe Grillo?
- What does Laura Boldrini think the government must do to teach the next generation of Italian voters how to defend themselves against falsehoods and conspiracy theories?
- What is Ms. Boldrini’s role in the new student curriculum? What does the Italian course load include, besides keeping an eye out for parody URLs?
- How does the Five Star Movement profit from fake news, and who else besides students has the potential to be deceived by it?