I recently signed up for a webinar with Will Richardson, Bruce and Missy change.school. Due to the time difference and a busy school start schedule, I opted for the replay link to watch at my convenience. It is one of the perks of learning with technology, to be able to study topics at times that suit you. Here are some take aways from the webinar, listed as 10 principles of modern schools. At this webinar the focus was on number 8:
modern schools develop and communicate in powerful ways new stories of learning, teaching, and modern contexts for schooling.
The 10 Principles of Modern Schools
- Have clearly articulated and shared beliefs about learning that
are lived in every classroom.
- Live a mission and a vision deeply informed by new contexts
- Have cultures where personal, self-determined learning is at the
center of student and teacher work.
- See curriculum as something that is co-constructed to meet the
needs and interests of the child.
- Embrace and emphasize real-world application and presentation
to real audiences as assessment for learning.
- See transparency and sharing as fundamental to a powerful
- Use technology first and foremost as an amplifier for learning,
creating, making, connecting, communicating, collaborating,
and problem solving.
- Develop and communicate in powerful ways new stories of
learning, teaching, and modern contexts for schooling.
- Encourage community wide participation in the equitable,
effective education of children.
- Embrace and anticipate constant change and evolution