Ever since my students started to write blogs I have stressed the importance of writing comments. Lately I have
- Determine Your Motivation – why are you writing?
- Provide Context – start by saying what you are commenting on
- Be Respectful – you shouldn’t say anything you wouldn’t say in person
- Make a Point – don’t say you love it but why you love it and it’s even more important to make a point when you disagree
- Know What You’re Talking About – save your time for commenting about things where you can actually say something useful
- Make One Point per Comment – a comment should be just that — a comment — not a manifesto.
- Keep it Short – keep your comments short.
- Link Carefully – don’t link to your own page unless it adds value to the conversation
- Proofread – proofreading is important because if you have a lot of typos or misspellings, it undermines your authority
Watch this fun rap and see if you agree with the girls! Writing lame comments? Ha ha they are making fun of you!